Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Is the DVR the Greatest Invention Ever?

The DVR has to be the greatest add-on to my television. Ever since I got connected to DirecTV and their top of the line HD DVR, my TV viewing habits have changed.

Here is how it works.

If you haven’t ever watched television with a digital video recorder, or a TiVo, you don’t know what you are missing. You have total control over everything you decide to watch. If you are watching a show, and all of the sudden you realize that you are starving, you can just hit the pause button. Go make your food, and then come back when you are ready, even if it takes an hour!

Then when you begin watching your show again, you will have the added advantage of skipping through any advertisements that come up. Pass right through them every time they pop up! Sometimes I don't see a commercial for days.

Now here is how I recommend getting the most out of a DVR setup. I don’t surf through channels anymore. I simply set up my DVR to save the programs I like. Even with watching football, I set the DVR to record, then I sit down about an hour after the game actually starts. That way, I can skip through all the commercials, and watch a football game in about half the time.

Lastly, I can always see new episodes of my favorite series. An example, new episodes are coming out soon of Friday Night Lights on Direct TV. On my DVR, all I have to do is select the record series option, and each time the show airs, my DVR finds it day or night, and saves it for me. I can set it to save all of the episodes, or just the first-run episodes. All of this in high definition too!

Then, when I have the time to watch television, all of my favorite shows are ready and waiting there for me to watch. No need to rearrange my schedule around the networks, not with my new DirecTV DVR.

No comments: